Joachim Roth is an associate with IISD’s Energy team. Joachim works on the circular economy, green fiscal policies, and coal phase-out with a particular focus on a just transition in developing and emerging economies. His recent work includes a report on the fiscal transition away from fossil fuels in BRICS countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) and research on the trade- and employment-related impacts of a shift to a circular economy in Finland.
Based in Europe, Joachim has had the opportunity to present research findings on the just energy transition at the Universidad Pontificia Comillas and several international climate events, including the OECD’s EU4Energy Policy Forum and the 2019 World Circular Economy Forum.
Prior to joining IISD, Joachim worked as a sustainability analyst at the Center for Development and Strategy, as a research intern at the United Nations Research Institute for Social Development, and as a project coordinator at LSE Enterprise.
Joachim holds a bachelor's degree in political science and economics from McGill University and a master's degree in development studies from the London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Rethinking Eskom: Lessons from electricity sector reform in India and Mexico As South Africa debates how to reform its struggling electricity sector, this publication reviews how international experience from India and Mexico could inform the debate.
- Current Status of Article 6 of the Paris Agreement: Internationally Transferred Mitigation Outcomes (ITMOs) This commentary highlights the current status of negotiations on Article 6 of the Paris Agreement heading into COP 25.
- Beyond Fossil Fuels: Fiscal transition in BRICS This report makes the case for preparing government budgets for the clean energy transition in BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa).
- Más allá de los combustibles fósiles: Transición fiscal en México Este reporte ayuda a entender el rol del sector de hidrocarburos en la transición energética en México
- How Will the Circular Economy Impact Jobs? New research digs into some of the possible job impacts if a country like Finland fully embraces a circular economy model.
- The French Lesson on Climate Change Action President Emmanuel Macron's failure to engage with the public on fuel price increases can backfire unless France follows Just Transition principles.