Our Issue Experts
Associate and Energy Specialist
Shruti Sharma is an Associate and Energy Specialist in IISD’s Energy program and the India Project Coordinator. Her experience and expertise lie in the field of environment, energy and poverty alleviation, with a focus on policy analysis, project management and evaluation. In her work with the British Council’s Climate Change project, Shruti developed her skills in advocacy, program management and evaluation, and communications. Her recent work focuses on energy pricing, energy subsidies, energy efficiency and the impact of energy sector reforms on gender.
- Electricity Sector Reform in Uttar Pradesh: Analysis of tariff adjustments and the Ujwal Discom Assurance Yojana Plan (UDAY)This study by IISD-Global Subsidies Initiative (GSI) examines the electricity sector of the state of Uttar Pradesh by analyzing tariff adjustments and the financial assistance scheme UDAY.
- India Energy Subsidy Briefing October 2017The India Energy Subsidy Briefing covers issues related to energy subsidies. October's edition included topics of petroleum products, a discussion of pricing policy for diesel and petrol, a new electricity subsidy scheme, and price hikes for liquefied petroleum gas and kerosene.
- Kerosene to Solar Swap Policy Brief 1: Kerosene Subsidies in India: The status quo, challenges and the emerging path to reformThis policy brief examines the current system of kerosene subsidies in India, looking at key issues and the impact subsidies have on the distribution of clean, off-grid solar lighting solutions.
- Making the Switch: From fossil fuel subsidies to sustainable energyThis report estimates fossil fuel subsidies to be around USD 425 billion. Such subsidies represent large lost opportunities for governments to invest in renewable energy, energy efficiency and sustainable development.
- A Solar Journey: Reaching the remotest villagesSarda’s remote location cuts off its market linkages and increases the challenge of making electricity accessible and other basic services. We document the deployment of solar in this community.
- IISD Perspectives on the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable DevelopmentAs the Sustainable Development Goals were in the final hours of negotiation in 2015, and in the early days of implementation in 2016, IISD experts reflected on the implications for countries, the UN system, and our own programs of work. These articles, first published as a series of blog postings, are the outward expression of that thought process.
- Gender and Fossil Fuel Subsidy Reform: Current status of researchLittle is known about the gender differentiated impacts of fossil fuel subsidy reforms. This review takes stock of existing knowledge, identifies knowledge gaps and sets out plans for future research in this area.
- How Subsidies for Kerosene are Holding Back Solar Power in IndiaKerosene is used by millions of households in rural India to meet basic lighting needs, and subsidies have long been used to make the fuel more affordable. But for health, safety and environmental reasons, a switch to solar power is better—and more affordable in the absence of kerosene subsidies.
- Rationalizing Energy Subsidies in Agriculture: A scoping study of agricultural subsidies in Haryana, IndiaThis study untangles the energy-water nexus by analyzing how subsidized electricity has incentivized groundwater extraction in Haryana, India.
- How Energy Subsidies (And Their Reform) Can Enhance Clean Energy Access Goal Seven of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), adopted by the General Assembly of the United Nations last month, calls on governments to “ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all.”
- Ghost savings: Understanding the fiscal impacts of India’s LPG subsidySince April 1st 2015, India’s cooking gas subsidies have been distributed solely by electronic transfer through the Direct Benefit Transfer for...
- 10 Big Ideas for Making Energy Efficiency Bankable in India In a continent that is starved for energy and infrastructure, it is an enigma that India’s markets for energy efficiency have yet to take off.The...
- Subsidies to Liquefied Petroleum Gas in India: An assessment of the direct benefit transfer in MysoreThis paper analyzes the Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) for liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) in Mysore, India.The DBT is an initiative of the Indian...
- India Energy Subsidy Review Issue 1 Volume 1 This is the first edition of the India Energy Subsidy Review, a biannual publication of the IISD's Global Subsidies Initiative.Part One outlines...
- Understanding Fossil-fuel Subsidies in India: Questions and answers Fossil-fuel subsidies are significant drain on public finances.They are also bad for the environment, while benefitting higher income consumers...
- Green Revenues for Green Energy: Environmental fiscal reform for renewable energy technology deployment in ChinaChina's economy continues to grow rapidly with corresponding increases in both energy consumption and environmental pollution.Renewable energy is a...