Communications and Editorial Manager, Economic Law and Policy
Sofia Baliño is the Communications and Editorial Manager for IISD's Economic Law and Policy program. Prior to joining IISD, Sofia spent several years as a journalist and senior editor covering trade, investment, environment and natural resources, and other aspects of sustainable development for Bridges Weekly, the flagship trade news reporting service for the International Centre for Trade and Sustainable Development. She previously worked in communications for environmental non-profits in Washington, D.C., covering topics such as wetlands conservation and preservation, food and water safety, and sustainable fisheries.
Sofia has a Master of Public Policy with a global policy concentration from Duke University, as well as a Master of Arts in English Language and Literature from the Université de Genève. She has a Bachelor of Arts in English and Economics from the College of William and Mary in Virginia. Sofia is also a graduate of the Columbia Publishing Course at Columbia University's School of Journalism.
Sofia is based in Geneva, Switzerland, and is fully bilingual in English and Spanish. She has a working-level proficiency in French.
- As COVID-19 Continues, Governments Must Shield Emergency Measures From Investor-State ArbitrationGovernments need to be able to issue COVID-19 support packages without worrying about the possibility of facing a wave of arbitration.
- Joint Statement on Micro, Small, and Medium-Sized Enterprises: History and latest developments in the Informal Working Group This brief outlines the history and developments of MSME-related discussions in the World Trade Organization (WTO) context, looking specifically at MSME-related issues at the WTO as well as in other forums and contexts.
- Investment Treaty News (ITN), Volume 11, Issue 1, March 2020Investment Treaty News (ITN) is IISD’s flagship journal on international investment law and policy.
- Investment Facilitation: History and the latest developments in the structured discussionsThis negotiating brief was prepared for the January 28, 2020 seminar in Geneva on the Joint Statement Initiative on Investment Facilitation.
- Investment Treaty News (ITN), Volume 10, Issue 5, December 2019Investment Treaty News (ITN) is IISD’s flagship journal on international investment law and policy.
- Global Economic Governance Through the Lens of Inequality and Sustainable Development: Meeting Report This meeting report was developed following a one-day workshop held in Geneva, Switzerland, on September 13, 2019, on the subjects of global economic governance, income inequality and sustainable development.
- Investment Treaty News (ITN), Volume 10, Issue 4, October 2019Investment Treaty News (ITN) is IISD’s flagship journal on international investment law and policy. This special edition of ITN is devoted to international investment governance.
- Investment Treaty News (ITN), Volume 10, Issue 3, September 2019 Investment Treaty News (ITN) is IISD’s flagship journal on international investment law and policy.
- Agricultural Bias in FocusThis paper provides further details and explains how to measure and understand the source of agricultural bias in a country, including examples and country case studies.
- What's Next for the ECOWAS Gender Network: From dialogue to actionAfter a week full of dialogue and knowledge exchange, parliamentarians who are part of a new network on gender equality and agriculture now face the important task of turning lessons into long-term engagement.
- Sustainability and Voluntary Certification in the Kenyan Tea Sector IISD convened key representatives from all segments of the Kenyan tea value chain for a multistakeholder meeting of the sector, held on March 6, 2019, in Nairobi, Kenya.
- Sustainability and Voluntary Certification in the Rwandan Coffee SectorIISD co-facilitated a workshop on voluntary sustainability standards in Rwanda's coffee sector February 28, 2019.
- "Sustainability Looks Different Wherever You Are": Coffee production practices in a risky landscapeThe coffee sector indeed appears to be in its heyday, but what do consumption and production trends tell us of its long-term sustainability?
- Investment Treaty News (ITN), Volume 10, Issue 2, June 2019 Investment Treaty News (ITN) is IISD’s flagship journal on international investment law and policy.
- World Bank–IMF Development Committee Stresses Institutional Accountability at Spring Meetings, Amid Planned IFC Reforms Communities may be able to sue international financial institutions when their livelihoods and well-being have been harmed by development.
- How Could China’s New Foreign Investment Law Impact Trade Debate? Negotiators from the United States and China have met repeatedly in recent weeks to reach an agreement to resolve some of the trade irritants between them, including the high-profile issue of forced technology transfers.
- WTO Debate on Future of “Differentiation” Highlights Challenges in Upcoming Negotiating AgendaIn March 2019, Jair Bolsonaro and Donald Trump announced Brazil will stop asking for certain types of treatment accorded to developing countries at the World Trade Organization.
- Investor–State Dispute Settlement Reform Talks Resume at UNCITRALThe next meeting of a United Nations working group debating options for reforming investor–state dispute settlement takes place in New York April 1 to 5.
- Survey on Developing Country Investment Treaty NegotiationsAt the suggestion of participants at the 11th Annual Forum of Developing Country Investment...
- As Members Debate WTO Reform, What Lies Ahead for 2019?The international trade community is returning to action in what promises to be a jam-packed year that could set the stage for an overhaul of the World Trade Organization.