David Uzsoki works as a Senior Advisor, Sustainable Finance in IISD’s Economic Law and Policy Program. He applies his financial industry experience to demonstrate that sustainability can indeed improve the financial performance of investments.
His recent projects include the development of the Sustainable Asset Valuation (SAVi) tool and its application to a wide range of projects globally. Within the context of SAVi, David is responsible for modelling the financial impact of the environmental and social externalities and climate risks associated with the projects under review.
David leads IISD’s engagement with investors and other financial stakeholders on demonstrating the business case for sustainable investments. He covers a wide range of topics in sustainable finance, including environmental, social and governance impact investment reporting; green bonds; blended finance solutions; de-risking instruments; digital finance; and the role of blockchain technology in financing high-impact projects.
David is a well-established finance professional. Prior to joining IISD, he spent several years working with Morgan Stanley in wealth management. As a client advisor, he provided advisory, execution and custody services to family offices, high net worth individuals and asset managers.
David holds a bachelor’s degree in business administration and a master’s degree in international finance. He is based in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Financing COVID-19 Stimulus: Will high levels of public debt come back to haunt us? The majority of COVID-related stimulus financing comes from government borrowing. Can this debt be paid back? Is it even meant to be?
- Impact Tokens: A blockchain-based solution for impact investing Impact tokens and blockchain technology offer promising solutions to mobilizing investments toward the Sustainable Development Goals by addressing the underlying challenges of the impact investing industry.
- Sustainable Investing: Shaping the future of finance A report on how sustainable investing will become mainstream in the financial industry.
- Modelling for Sustainable Development: New decisions for a new age This book provides a detailed overview of models used in designing projects and policies that integrate sustainable development considerations and objectives.
- Sustainable Asset Valuation (SAVi) of the Bus Rapid Transit Project in Senegal This report discusses the results of the SAVi analysis on the Bus Rapid Transit project in Dakar (Senegal).
- Sustainable Asset Valuation (SAVi) Assessment of the N'Diaye Wind Farm in Senegal This SAVi analysis on the N'Diaye wind farm project in Senegal demonstrates that, compared to other energy technologies (coal and high-fuel oils), the wind project brings the most benefits to the Senegalese economy and environment.
- How Can Blockchain Improve Sustainability in Mining? Companies interested in sustainability and transparency are starting to use blockchain to trace materials back to their sources.
- Sustainable Asset Valuation (SAVi) of the Contournement de Rabat (Morocco) IISD has carried out an economic and financial assessment of different risk scenarios of the contournement de Rabat, the bypass road in Morocco. The assessment included the valuation of different externalities related to the road project.
- Tokenization of Infrastructure: A blockchain-based solution to financing sustainable infrastructure This report presents how tokenization can address some of the fundamental challenges of financing sustainable infrastructure projects.
- Why Financing Rural Infrastructure Is Crucial to Achieving Food Security Financing infrastructure, including roads, storage and localized energy grids, will help provide food security for the millions of people living in hunger worldwide.
- The Sustainable Asset Valuation of the Southern Agricultural Growth Corridor in Tanzania (SAGCOT) Initiative: A focus on irrigation This report discusses the results of the application of the Sustainable Asset Valuation (SAVi) tool to irrigation infrastructure in the Southern Agricultural Growth Corridor in Tanzania.
- Financing Rural Infrastructure: Priorities and pathways for ending hunger Read our report to discover how new financial instruments can support a decentralized and robust infrastructure base for farmers, food processors and rural communities.
- Financing Rural Infrastructure: Priorities and pathways for ending hunger: Investment in Agriculture Policy Brief #7 Read our policy brief to discover how financing infrastructure will help provide food security for the 821 million people estimated to live in hunger worldwide.
- Applying the Sustainable Asset Valuation (SAVi) Tool to the 9.5 GW Offshore Wind Farm, North Sea, The Netherlands Applied to the 9.5 GW offshore wind farm in the North Sea, the SAVi tool compares the financial attractiveness of the wind farm with other energy technologies under four different scenarios.
- Credit Enhancement for Sustainable Infrastructure The paper identifies the demand and supply-side barriers for upscaling credit enhancement solutions for sustainable infrastructure projects.
- Financing Soil Remediation: Exploring the use of financing instruments to blend public and private capital A collection of 17 case studies on a variety of financing instruments that blend public and private capital that could be used to finance the remediation of contaminated soil.
- Infrastructure Banks: Solutions and best practices This discussion paper features infrastructure bank best practices and recommendations for countries exploring similar models to support their infrastructure pipelines.
- Biodiversity and Infrastructure: A better nexus? In this brief, the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) and the International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD) provide initial policy guidance for parties to consider prior to COP 14 in Egypt on how biodiversity mainstreaming can be reconciled with the infrastructure sector.
- Sustainable Asset Valuation Tool: Water infrastructure Technical background document for the Sustainable Asset Valuation Tool of IISD (SAVi) for water infrastructure.
- Sustainable Asset Valuation Tool: Roads Technical background document for the Sustainable Asset Valuation Tool of IISD (SAVi) for road infrastructure.
- Sustainable Asset Valuation Tool: Energy infrastructure Technical background document for the Sustainable Asset Valuation Tool of IISD (SAVi) for energy infrastructure.
- Sustainable Asset Valuation Tool: Buildings Technical background document for the Sustainable Asset Valuation Tool of IISD (SAVi) for buildings.
- Financing Infrastructure – How can multilateral development banks avoid crowding out institutional investors? David Uzsoki takes a look at the role multilateral development banks should play in financing infrastructure.
- The Role of Public Procurement in Deploying Sustainable Infrastructure This report discusses how to maximise value-for-money when procuring sustainable infrastructure.
- Ideas and Solutions to Address the USD 50 Trillion Infrastructure Deficit: A contribution to the 2015 G-20 Summit, Antalya, Turkey The opportunity costs of not addressing the global infrastructure deficit are too high.According to Brodhead, Darling, and Mullin (2014), for every...
- How Green Public Procurement Contributes to Sustainable Development in China Building on the results of the IISD Green Public Procurement (GPP) Model, consultations with stakeholders and an extensive literature review, this paper provides targeted recommendations addressing the development areas identified to improve GPP in China.
- Currency Risk in Project Finance In developing countries, international financing institutions (IFIs) often help finance key infrastructure projects, predominantly through hard currency loans.
- Green Bonds in Public-Private Partnerships This paper proposes green project bonds as an alternative way to finance “green” PPPs by engaging capital markets.For procurers to effectively...