Our Issue Experts
Martin Dietrich Brauch
Martin Dietrich Brauch is an international law adviser and associate with IISD, based in Brazil. He provides legal advice and training on international investment law and reform for developing country governments and regional organizations, with a focus on Latin America and Portuguese-speaking Africa.
As editor-in-chief of Investment Treaty News (ITN), Martin oversees the editorial process of IISD’s flagship quarterly journal on international investment law and policy, published in English, French and Spanish.
He is Team Captain of The Creative Disrupters, one of the winners of the Stockholm Treaty Lab prize. The team’s winning entry is an innovative model investment treaty, in line with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), designed to achieve climate change mitigation and adaptation goals.
Among Martin’s recent research work are papers on integrating sustainable development co-benefits into infrastructure contracts, International Court of Justice (ICJ) judges sitting as arbitrators in investor–state dispute settlement (ISDS) cases, and exhaustion of local remedies in international investment law.
Prior to joining IISD, Martin worked as Senior Attorney for a media conglomerate and Associate Attorney at a law firm in Brazil. As a graduate student, he undertook an internship with the Legal Affairs Programme of UN Climate Change (UNFCCC).
Martin is qualified to practice law in Brazil and in New York.
- Summary Comments to the Proposals for Amendment of the ICSID Arbitration RulesThis commentary focuses on select aspects of the ICSID Secretariat's March 15, 2019 draft proposals for amendment of the ICSID Arbitration Rules.
- Investor–State Dispute Settlement Reform Talks Resume at UNCITRALThe next meeting of a United Nations working group debating options for reforming investor–state dispute settlement takes place in New York April 1 to 5.
- SADC-IISD Investment Facilitation WorkshopReport of the meeting held August 21–23, 2018 in Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Survey on Developing Country Investment Treaty NegotiationsAt the suggestion of participants at the 11th Annual Forum of Developing Country Investment Negotiators, IISD produced a survey of developing...
- Investment Treaty News (ITN), Volume 9, Issue 4, December 2018Investment Treaty News (ITN) is IISD’s flagship journal on international investment law and policy.
- Reply to Public Consultation on Canada's International Investment Agreements (FIPAs) The Canadian government launched a public consultation on Canada’s foreign investment promotion and protection agreements (FIPAs) on August 14, 2018. This commentary outlines IISD's reply.
- Investment Treaty News (ITN), Volume 9, Issue 3, October 2018Investment Treaty News (ITN) is IISD’s flagship journal on international investment law and policy.
- International Investment Law and Sustainable Development: Key cases from the 2010s This e-book features 10 summaries and analyses of decisions rendered between 2011 and 2018 by arbitral tribunals in treaty-based investor–state arbitration cases having sustainable development implications.
- Investment Treaty News (ITN), Volume 9, Issue 2, July 2018Investment Treaty News (ITN) is IISD’s flagship journal on international investment law and policy.
- Developing a Progressive Agenda for Reform of International Investment Law: Canadian perspectives This report presents the ideas posited by various Canadian stakeholders in an IISD expert meeting on a progressive agenda on investment, held in Ottawa, Canada, June 13, 2018.
- Investment Treaty News Quarterly (ITN), Volume 8, Issue 4, December 2017Investment Treaty News (ITN) is IISD’s flagship quarterly journal on international investment law and policy.
- A Risky Tango? Investment facilitation and the WTO Ministerial Conference in Buenos AiresInvestment facilitation—if structured right—could reshape global investment law frameworks for the better. However, this solution-oriented cooperative approach is not well-suited for the WTO.
- Contracts for Sustainable Infrastructure: Ensuring the economic, social and environmental co-benefits of infrastructure investment projectsThis report defines sustainable infrastructure, outlines its expected characteristics and co-benefits, and presents why governments must and how they can integrate sustainability into public–private partnerships (PPP) and other infrastructure contracts.
- Is “Moonlighting” a Problem? The role of ICJ judges in ISDSSitting judges of the International Court of Justice have worked as arbitrators in at least 90 investor–state dispute settlement cases. This commentary presents new data and examines the implications.
- Investment Treaty News Quarterly (ITN), Volume 8, Issue 3, September 2017Investment Treaty News (ITN) is IISD’s flagship quarterly journal on international investment law and policy.
- Investment-Related Dispute Settlement: Lessons from international accountability mechanismsWorking toward elements of a new mechanism for investment-related disputes, the expert meeting held in Washington, D.C., United States, on April 11, 2017 focused on ways forward on a compliance structure to hold companies accountable.
- Investment Treaty News Quarterly (ITN), Volume 8, Issue 2, June 2017Investment Treaty News is IISD’s flagship quarterly journal on international investment law and policy.
- Investment Treaty News Quarterly (ITN), Volume 8, Issue 1, March 2017Investment Treaty News is IISD’s flagship quarterly journal on international investment law and policy.
- IISD Best Practices Series: Exhaustion of Local Remedies in International Investment LawPart of IISD’s Best Practices Series, this advisory bulletin reviews state-of-the-art options and approaches to the exhaustion of local remedies requirement in international investment law.
- Investment Treaty News Quarterly (ITN), Volume 7, Issue 4, December 2016Investment Treaty News is IISD’s flagship quarterly journal on international investment law and policy.
- Mining a Mirage? Reassessing the shared-value paradigm in light of the technological advances in the mining sectorThis report uses real-world mining data to estimate the impacts of new technologies on employment and employment-related procurement, which drive major benefits in host countries.
- Investment-Related Dispute Settlement: Towards an inclusive multilateral approachThis document outlines results from an IISD expert meeting discussing investment-related dispute settlement which was held in Montreux, Switzerland, May 23–24, 2016.
- Investment Treaty News Quarterly (ITN), Volume 7, Issue 3, August 2016Investment Treaty News is IISD’s flagship quarterly journal on international investment law and policy.
- Investment Treaty News Quarterly (ITN), Volume 7, Issue 2, May 2016Investment Treaty News (ITN), published by the International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD), is a quarterly journal on international investment law and policy and sustainable development.
- Investment Treaty News Quarterly, Volume 7, Issue 1, February 2016In this issue: Is investor-state dispute settlement legal under EU Law?
- Investment Treaty News Quarterly, Volume 6, Issue 4, November 2015Does the Green Economy Need Investor–State Dispute Settlement? Read more in our quarterly periodical on investment law and policy.
- Brazil's Innovative Approach to International Investment LawOne of the more contentious aspects of international economic law are so-called bilateral investment agreements (BITs).Dating back more than 50...
- Comparative Commentary to Brazil’s Cooperation and Investment Facilitation Agreements (CIFAs) with Mozambique, Angola, Mexico, and MalawiUnlike traditional bilateral investment treaties (BITs), which are geared toward investor protection, Brazil’s Cooperation and Investment Facilitation Agreements (CIFAs—or ACFIs in their Portuguese acronym) focus primarily on cooperation and investment facilitation.
- Investment Treaty News Quarterly, Volume 6, Issue 3, August 2015This issue explores the new Brazilian Agreement on Cooperation and Facilitation of Investments (ACFI); the legal regimes governing farmland investments and water rights in Africa; and new ideas to empower U.S. and European workers in TTIP.
- Side-by-side Comparison of the Brazil-Mozambique and Brazil-Angola Cooperation and Investment Facilitation Agreements Brazil has developed a new model investment agreement, the Cooperation and Investment Facilitation Agreement (CIFA). Unlike traditional bilateral investment treaties (BITs), which are geared towards investor protection, CIFAs focus less on investor protection and more on institutional arrangements and agendas for investment facilitation and cooperation.
- Investment Treaty News Quarterly, Volume 6, Issue 2, May 2015In this issue:The Merits and Limitations of General Exception Clauses in Contemporary Investment Treaty Practice; Rethinking Investment-Related...
- Curso de Capacitación: Construyendo Capacidades para Implementar el Marco de Políticas Mineras en la Republica DominicanaDe 15 a 19 de septiembre de 2014, el Instituto Internacional para el Desarrollo Sostenible (por sus siglas en inglés, IISD) y la Dirección General...
- Investment Treaty News Quarterly, Volume 6, Issue 1, February 2015In this issue:State Regulatory Autonomy and Tobacco Control in International Trade and Investment Law; Political Change vs. Legal Stability:...
- The State of Play in Vattenfall v. Germany II: Leaving the German public in the darkTwo years after Vattenfall brought Germany to international arbitration for a second time (Vattenfall II), the German public is still left out in the dark. This briefing note reviews the background to the case on Germany’s decision to phase out nuclear power and outlines its current state of play.
- Investment Treaty News Quarterly, Volume 5, Issue 4, November 2014In this issue:In Accordance with Which Host State Laws? Restoring the ‘Defence’ of Investor Illegality in Investment Arbitration; Who is Afraid of...
- Investment Treaty News Quarterly, Volume 5, Issue 3, August 2014In this issue:Risky Business or Risky Politics: What Explains Investor-State Disputes?; Aron Broches and the Withdrawal of Unilateral Offers of...
- Opportunities for Sustainable Public Procurement in MozambiquePublic procurement—the processes used by governments for the contracting of goods, services and construction works—can promote sustainability and...
- Sustainable Public Procurement in the Sao Paulo State Government: Policy BriefGovernments are highly influential consumers. Their purchasing decisions can affect the decisions made by firms regarding the quality of their...
- Sustainable Public Procurement in the Sao Paulo State Government: An in-depth case studyThe State Government of Sao Paulo, Brazil has made significant strides in integrating sustainability into its public procurement processes, and, as...
- International Public Finance for Climate-friendly Investment: Vehicles, availability, and governanceSustainable development at its heart is an investment problem—a challenge to replace unsustainable infrastructure, productive technologies, and...