Senior Law Advisor
Joe Zhang joined IISD’s Geneva office in 2014. As a Senior Law Advisor for IISD’s Economic Law and Policy Program, his work focuses on international investment law and policy.
Since joining IISD, Joe has been advising developing country governments on international investment law issues, investment treaty negotiations, investment contract negotiations, and the development of sound domestic investment laws and policies from a sustainable development perspective. Joe also closely follows the discussions on business and human rights.
Among his recent projects are reforming the investment-related international dispute settlement regime as well as incorporating corporate accountability mechanisms in international treaties.
Before joining IISD, Joe worked as an attorney for leading international firms in the areas of commercial arbitration, capital markets and foreign direct investment. He is a member of the Oklahoma State Bar Association and the Washington State Bar Association and is qualified to practice law in China.
- Investment Treaty News (ITN), Volume 10, Issue 5, December 2019Investment Treaty News (ITN) is IISD’s flagship journal on international investment law and policy.
- Investment Treaty News Quarterly (ITN), Volume 8, Issue 4, December 2017Investment Treaty News (ITN) is IISD’s flagship quarterly journal on international investment law and policy.
- Investment Treaty News Quarterly (ITN), Volume 8, Issue 2, June 2017Investment Treaty News is IISD’s flagship quarterly journal on international investment law and policy.
- Investment Treaty News Quarterly, Volume 6, Issue 2, May 2015In this issue:The Merits and Limitations of General Exception Clauses in Contemporary Investment...
- Investment Treaty News Quarterly, Volume 5, Issue 4, November 2014In this issue:In Accordance with Which Host State Laws? Restoring the ‘Defence’ of Investor...