Group Director, Economic Law & Policy
Nathalie Bernasconi-Osterwalder, LL.M, is a senior international lawyer and heads the Economic Law & Policy programme of the International Institute on Sustainable Development (IISD).
In this role, she works with developing country governments across Africa, Asia and Latin America in relation to bilateral and regional investment treaty negotiations, investor-state contracts (with a particular focus on mining and agriculture), model investment treaties and foreign investment laws.
Nathalie has extensive legal, policy, and training experience in the area of international trade, investment, sustainable development, human rights, international environmental law and arbitration.
She previously worked as an attorney at the Center for International Environmental Law in Washington and Geneva, where she also managed the office. Earlier, she was a fellow at the International Institute of International Economic Law at Georgetown University Law Center and worked in Hanoi, Vietnam, for a legal reform project of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and for the Australian law firm Phillips Fox. In Switzerland Nathalie is admitted to the Bar of Basel and has worked for the Justice Department, Berne, in the Section for International Law.
She is based in Geneva and is fluent in English, German, and French.
- SADC-IISD Investment Facilitation WorkshopReport of the meeting held August 21–23, 2018 in Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Survey on Developing Country Investment Treaty NegotiationsAt the suggestion of participants at the 11th Annual Forum of Developing Country Investment...
- Developing a Progressive Agenda for Reform of International Investment Law: Canadian perspectives This report presents the ideas posited by various Canadian stakeholders in an IISD expert meeting on a progressive agenda on investment, held in Ottawa, Canada, June 13, 2018.
- Integrating Investor Obligations and Corporate Accountability Provisions in Trade and Investment AgreementsThis report synthesizes the main points that emerged from the discussions in the expert meeting co-organized by IISD and Friedrich Ebert Stiftung (FES) in Versoix, Switzerland, January 11–12, 2018.
- Investment-Related Dispute Settlement: Lessons from international accountability mechanismsWorking toward elements of a new mechanism for investment-related disputes, the expert meeting held in Washington, D.C., United States, on April 11, 2017 focused on ways forward on a compliance structure to hold companies accountable.
- Investment-Related Dispute Settlement: Towards an inclusive multilateral approachThis document outlines results from an IISD expert meeting discussing investment-related dispute settlement which was held in Montreux, Switzerland, May 23–24, 2016.