Scott Vaughan is an IISD Senior Fellow. From 2013 until early 2019, Scott served President and CEO of IISD and Chair of the IISD Experimental Lakes Area Board. Prior to his work at IISD, Scott served as Canada’s Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development; Director of the Department of Sustainable Development, Organization of American States (OAS); Visiting Scholar, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace; Head of Economics, NAFTA Environment Commission; and Counsellor at the World Trade Organization (WTO).
Scott also worked at UN Environment in the office of the Executive Director. In his tenure at UN Environment, Scott initiated the UNEP Finance Initiative (FI), as well as the UNEP Environment–Trade program. Before his work there, Scott worked in Economic and Corporate Affairs at RBC head office.
Scott holds post-graduate degrees from the London School of Economics, University of Edinburgh and Dalhousie University, and an undergraduate degree from Mount Allison University. Current affiliations include the designate International Chief Advisor of the China Council for International Cooperation on Environment and Development (CCICED) and board member of the Mare Nostrum Global Initiative.
- Cost of Pollution: Extreme WeatherDid you know that the cost of climate change-related heat waves in Canada is estimated to have been $1.6 billion in 2015?
- Cost of Pollution: Contaminated SitesDid you know that average annual cost of managing contaminated sites under federal jurisdiction in Canada was $283 million between 2005/06 and 2014/15?
- Cost of Pollution: Persistent Organic Pollutants Did you know that the cost of persistent organic pollutants to Canada is estimated to be in the billions, but we still don't know for sure?
- Cost of Pollution: Smog Did you know that smog cost Canada $36 billion in 2015?
- Comprehensive Wealth in Canada: IISD's report launch On December 1, 2016, IISD publicly released a report on measuring Comprehensive Wealth, an innovative approach, never before undertaken in Canada, to measuring wealth that looks beyond merely GDP.
- CEM and ECPA Side Event: Fossil Fuel Subsidy Reform and Investments in Clean and Affordable EnergyRecent developments in fossil fuel subsidy reform and discussion of how to sustain the progress...