Scott Vaughan is an IISD Distinguished Fellow. From 2013 until early 2019, Scott served President and CEO of IISD and Chair of the IISD Experimental Lakes Area Board. Prior to his work at IISD, Scott served as Canada’s Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development; Director of the Department of Sustainable Development, Organization of American States (OAS); Visiting Scholar, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace; Head of Economics, NAFTA Environment Commission; and Counsellor at the World Trade Organization (WTO).
Scott also worked at UN Environment in the office of the Executive Director. In his tenure at UN Environment, Scott initiated the UNEP Finance Initiative (FI), as well as the UNEP Environment–Trade program. Before his work there, Scott worked in Economic and Corporate Affairs at RBC head office.
Scott holds post-graduate degrees from the London School of Economics, University of Edinburgh and Dalhousie University, and an undergraduate degree from Mount Allison University. Current affiliations include the designate International Chief Advisor of the China Council for International Cooperation on Environment and Development (CCICED) and board member of the Mare Nostrum Global Initiative.
- IISD Speech: President and CEO Scott Vaughan at Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce Fun, Profit and Saving the Earth event IISD President and CEO Scott Vaughan spoke to nearly 400 business leaders about how transitioning to a green economy can help Winnipeg weather climate change.
- IISD Speech: President and CEO Scott Vaughan at the World Circular Economy Forum 2017, HelsinkiIISD President and CEO Scott Vaughan speech from the World Circular Economy Forum 2017 on June 6, 2017 in Helsinki.
- IISD Speech: President and CEO Scott Vaughan at the UN Economic and Social Council, 2017 Integrated Segment, New YorkIISD President and CEO Scott Vaughan speaking at the UN ESOSOC 2017 Integration Segment on May 8, 2017 in New York.
- IISD Statement to the House of Commons Standing Committee on International TradeOur President and CEO Scott Vaughan presented to the House of Commons Standing Committee on International Trade on May 1, 2018, regarding a Canada-MERCOSUR free trade agreement. Read what he had to say.
- IISD Speech: IISD President and CEO Scott Vaughan at the Regional Forum on Sustainable Development for the UNECE Region, GenevaIISD President and CEO Scott Vaughan speaking at the Regional Forum on Sustainable Development for the UNECE Region in Geneva on April 25, 2017.
- IISD Speech: President and CEO Scott Vaughan at PAGE Ministerial Conference, BerlinIISD President and CEO Scott Vaughan speaks at the PAGE Ministerial Conference in Berlin, Germany on March 27, 2017.
- Regional Sustainable Development: Lessons in integrated policies (speech)IISD President and CEO Scott Vaughan spoke at the International Symposium on the Yangtze River...
- Montréal et la nouvelle économie verte (discours)Le président-directeur général de l’IISD, Scott Vaughan, discute de l’importance de Montréal ...
- Accountability and the Post-2015 Agenda (Speech)IISD President Scott Vaughan's speech at the President of the 68th Session of the United Nation’s...
- The Challenge of Extreme Events and their Impacts (Speech)IISD President Scott Vaughan's keynote speech at the Canadian Climate Forum's Symposium on...