Scott Vaughan is the International Chief Advisor to the China Council for International Cooperation on Environment and Development (CCICED) and an IISD Senior Fellow. Until early 2019, he was president and CEO of IISD and chair of the IISD Experimental Lakes Area (IISD-ELA) board. Before his work at IISD, Scott served as Canada’s federal Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development; director of the Department of Sustainable Development, Organization of American States (OAS); Visiting Scholar, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace; head of Economics and Trade, NAFTA Environment Commission; and counsellor, World Trade Organization (WTO).
At UN Environment, he initiated the UNEP Financial Initiative (UNEP FI), headed the UNEP Environment and Trade work, and worked in the office of the UNEP executive director. Scott has also worked in economic and corporate affairs in the head office at RBC Financial Group and in the office of the Canadian federal Minister of the Environment. Current affiliations include associate with the Loyola Sustainability Research Centre, associate editor of the Chinese Journal of Urban and Environment Studies and member of the advisory committee of the Global Development Center, Boston University. He is a graduate of Mount Allison University, Dalhousie University, the University of Edinburgh and the London School of Economics.
- From Canada’s Lakes to the World: IISD Experimental Lakes Area Annual Report 2017-2018In this year's IISD-ELA annual report, we explore the impact that our research has had on the world’s fresh water over the last 50 years, what the future holds, and how we are celebrating our half century.
- Comprehensive Wealth in Canada 2018 – Measuring What Matters in the Long TermComprehensive wealth measures the country’s produced, natural, human, financial and social capital.
- Global Value Chain Policy Series: EnvironmentThis paper, part of the Global Value Chain Policy Series, examines questions that arise at the intersection of environmental sustainability and global value chains.
- IISD Experimental Lakes Area 2016-2017 Annual ReportIn this year's annual report, we explore how IISD Experimental Lakes Area is innovating in the arena of freshwater science, to improve its own research, but also limnology across the world.
- Comprehensive Wealth in Canada—Measuring what matters in the long runThis report seeks to introduce the concept of comprehensive wealth to Canadians and outline why it should be considered an essential complement to the other measures such as gross domestic product.
- Opening Our Doors: IISD Experimental Lakes Area 2015-2016 Annual Report2015-2016 was the year that IISD Experimental Lakes Area (IISD-ELA) truly opened its doors to the world.