Scott Vaughan is an IISD Distinguished Fellow. From 2013 until early 2019, Scott served President and CEO of IISD and Chair of the IISD Experimental Lakes Area Board. Prior to his work at IISD, Scott served as Canada’s Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development; Director of the Department of Sustainable Development, Organization of American States (OAS); Visiting Scholar, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace; Head of Economics, NAFTA Environment Commission; and Counsellor at the World Trade Organization (WTO).
Scott also worked at UN Environment in the office of the Executive Director. In his tenure at UN Environment, Scott initiated the UNEP Finance Initiative (FI), as well as the UNEP Environment–Trade program. Before his work there, Scott worked in Economic and Corporate Affairs at RBC head office.
Scott holds post-graduate degrees from the London School of Economics, University of Edinburgh and Dalhousie University, and an undergraduate degree from Mount Allison University. Current affiliations include the designate International Chief Advisor of the China Council for International Cooperation on Environment and Development (CCICED) and board member of the Mare Nostrum Global Initiative.
- From Canada’s Lakes to the World: IISD Experimental Lakes Area Annual Report 2017-2018In this year's IISD-ELA annual report, we explore the impact that our research has had on the world’s fresh water over the last 50 years, what the future holds, and how we are celebrating our half century.
- Comprehensive Wealth in Canada 2018 – Measuring What Matters in the Long TermComprehensive wealth measures the country’s produced, natural, human, financial and social capital.
- Global Value Chain Policy Series: EnvironmentThis paper, part of the Global Value Chain Policy Series, examines questions that arise at the intersection of environmental sustainability and global value chains.
- IISD Experimental Lakes Area 2016-2017 Annual ReportIn this year's annual report, we explore how IISD Experimental Lakes Area is innovating in the arena of freshwater science, to improve its own research, but also limnology across the world.
- Comprehensive Wealth in Canada—Measuring what matters in the long runThis report seeks to introduce the concept of comprehensive wealth to Canadians and outline why it should be considered an essential complement to the other measures such as gross domestic product.
- Opening Our Doors: IISD Experimental Lakes Area 2015-2016 Annual Report2015-2016 was the year that IISD Experimental Lakes Area (IISD-ELA) truly opened its doors to the world.