Shifting to Below 2°C Economies: Strategies for just energy transitions
The transition to a low-carbon economy can have profound impacts on energy consumers, existing industries and the workforce.
There will be opportunities to create new consumer choices and grow new sectors as well as instances where transition support will be needed. Implementing the energy transition requires leadership, excellent political tactics, and effective engagement and communication to build support and manage the impacts of reforms. Policy and implementation strategies are essential: these include building coalitions; reallocating resources; making transparent the costs of preserving the fossil fuel industry in terms of health, climate impacts, jobs and fiscal expenditure; and highlighting the positive economic opportunities arising from a clean energy transition.
So far, the “tactics” of transition processes have not received the attention they merit, and governments around the world are struggling with how to address just transitions. Real People, Real Change: Strategies for just energy transitions, developed by IISD with support from the German Federal Minister for the Environment, Nature Conservation, and Nuclear Safety (BMU), aims to fill this gap.
The objective of this side event, held during the 5th Berlin Energy Transition Dialogue (BETD), is to bring together seasoned policy-makers, representatives of international and labour organizations as well as innovative campaigners and researchers to launch the guidebook and discuss and identify successful approaches to just energy transitions. The event will be moderated by Peter Wooders, Energy Group Director at IISD
Agenda (event time: 14:45–16:15)
Opening remarks – Norbert Gorißen , Deputy Director General, International Climate Policy, Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety, Germany
Presentation of the guidebook on just transition, Real People, Real Change: Strategies for just energy transitions – Phil Gass, Senior Policy Advisor, Energy, IISD
Panel Discussion – How to manage a just transition
- Hassan Yussuff, Co-Chair, Just Transition Task Force for Canadian Coal Power Workers and Communities, Canada
- Gabriel Prudencio, Head, Sustainable Energy Division, Ministry of Energy, Chile
- Tasneem Essop, Commissioner, National Planning Commission, South Africa
- Matt Webb, Team Leader, International Coal Transitions, Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy, United Kingdom
- Sam Smith, Director, Just Transition Centre, International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC)
- Camilla Roman, Policy Specialist, Green Jobs Programme, International Labour Organization (ILO)
- Vera Scholz, Director, Climate Change, Environment and Infrastructure, German Corporation for International Cooperation (GIZ)
The event is open to anyone who has registered for the Berlin Energy Transition Dialogue.
April 10, 2019